Back River Anglican Church
Known as the parish church, this beautiful brick
edifice built in 1837 is located at the corner of High and North
Streets. The remains of the original church built in 1774 are still
visible at the site. Interred in the churchyard are many noted
individuals who helped to shape the course and fortune of the parish.
This house is
have been originally owned by the Shakespeare family who were thought
to be related to the famous playwright, William Shakespeare. John
Leyden, a Scotsman, who subsequently owned it, brought the first car
and the first electricity generator to Black River and Jamaica.
Waterloo house was the first residence in Jamaica to have electricity.
. A plaque at this historic house trumpets this accomplishment. Located
on High Street, it is one of the oldest of its kind in Black River.
This house was
built in the late nineteenth century. It was constructed by Adolphus
Williams for Tom Leyden, who with partner William Farguharson of Leyden
and Farquharson Shipping Company, were two of the richest men in
Jamaica in the mid 1880s. The house is a two-storey Victorian building
decorated with fretwork.
The Black River
previously known as the Black River Mineral Springs has been a popular
attraction since the Eighteenth Century and one of the more popular
spas on the island until the 1930s. Rich in sulphur and other minerals,
the cold spring is believed to have healing properties. It is believed that the owner
the then Lower Works Estate on which the mineral spring was located,
used it regularly to treat certain ailments such as rheumatism and
intestinal troubles among his slave population. In the 1920s and 1930s
the spa had become very popular with its many baths for visitors. Today
the spa is in a state of disrepair.
Located on High
Street, Invercauld is a fine example of late
Jamaica Georgian Architecture. It is a reminder of Black River’s
prosperity a century ago, when logwood and shipping brought wealth to
the town. Built over 115 years ago, it has been restored and is
presently used as a focal point to a hotel.